Saturday, November 1, 2008

Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon - 9/28/2008

It was a lot of fun finally being able to do the Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon in McKinney, TX this year. This was my first triathlon to attend as a spectator, so I was excited to be on the other side this time.

The race was only one week before my big race for the year (US Open), but I decided that the sprint distance would be a good warmup for the following weekend.

The sprint distance is a 750M (1/2 mile) swim, 12.5 mile bike and a 5K (3.1 mile) run.

Driving out to McKinney from my house meant leaving at about 4:30am to get to transition area right when it opens at 5:30am. I really prefer to get there earlier, especially if the bike racks are not reserved for each race number...that way, I can get a spot on the outside of the rack, making transitions a little easier.

It was a chilly morning to start (low 60's) before the sun came out, but warmed up quickly.

The swim was good....wetsuit legal, but not cold (76 degrees). Being in the 40+ wave, we were the last ones to start for the day. I got caught in traffic at the start, but eventually worked my way through. Got my goggles knocked around a few times, but with the straps under my swim cap, they stayed on.

Before my start, I watched some of the olympic-distance racers nearly tripping on their wetsuit arms coming down that hill after the swim (wetsuit down to the waist), I decided not to start stripping mine until I got to the bottom of the hill...turns out that worked pretty well. The transition area was actually in the parking lot on the other side of the tennis courts this time, requiring an extended barefoot run across the concrete parking lot and sidewalk coming out of the swim to the bike. I ended up nursing a bruised foot for a few days after the race, but fortunately, it healed prior to the US Open.

The bike course was so crowded, it felt more like a rally than a race. I actually had to sit up and coast several times until I could get by other packs of riders. No way to call drafting violations...everyone was in violation. I hit almost 32 mph at a couple of places on El Dorado Road and kept a healthy pace on the flats where I could get some room. I felt strong on the bike and was surprised at my time...didn't feel that I pushed it that hard.

I kept things in check for the run, but still passed a number of folks...and had a decent run.

Stats

10th place in the 40-44 age group
750M swim - 15:39.19
T1 - 3:48.35
12.5 mile bike - 31:42.90 (22.7 mph)
T2 - 1:19.10
5K run - 25:47.10 (8:16/mile)
Total time - 1:18:16.64

No comments: