Wednesday, November 5, 2008

2008 Racing Season Wrapup

I decided to start this blog to pull together a lot of my experiences and pictures from the racing I do...I hope you enjoy reading them.

I've got things put together on several of these events, but I'll be adding more as well as on other topics as time goes on, so feel free to check back periodically and see what's new.






Wow....2008 has been a busy racing season! Lots of races this year and lots of fun!


This year has been more of a run focus for me, and its paid off in significantly faster run times in both triathlon and running races. The downside is that I "took advantage" of some extra time over the memorial day holiday, and injured my Iliotibial Band I think through overuse. Seems that my leg didn't like a hill workout followed by a 12 mile run the next day, followed by a 50 mile bike the next day and a 20 mile bike/4 mile run combo the following day....I'm thinking I pushed it a little too hard.

So, I spent most of the summer rehabing my IT band with stretching, weights, ice and therapy from my own personal Physical Therapist, Alesia! Fortunately, I was able to keep cycling and recovered enough to finish the year with two triathlons. I had hoped to prepare and race in the White Rock Marathon this year (did the half-marathon last year), but I wasn't able to put in the training volume early enough, so I'll sit this one out. Maybe a half in Ft Worth next year?

I was pleased that even through rehab I was able to maintain my fitness and running speed, and run a respectable 8:15/mile pace in the 10K run portion of the US Open Triathlon, as well as set a personal record of a 7:27/mile pace in the Hexter Howl 5K to finish the year. A far cry from not being able to run more than a half mile without pain back in June!

Despite some injuries, it really has been a good racing season. I was fortunate to have great weather for all of my races and there have been some real high points too!
You can click on one of the races above (or on one of the links to the right) to read a little more about each event.

No comments: