Friday, January 16, 2009

Cold Weather Training

It sure has been tough rolling out of bed on some of these mornings. I have a weather station near my bed that reports temp, wind, chill, rain, etc....so sometimes, its too much information.

I generally don't ride unless its at least 45 degrees, but I can seem to handle running with windchills down into the teens so I usually follow this formula...

50+ = shorts and short sleeve shirt
40's = shorts, light long sleeve (cap and gloves for mid to lower 40's)
30's = shorts (no wind) or tights (windy), thermal long sleeve, gloves and fleece cap with ear covering
20's = same as above, but maybe with an extra layer if windy
teens = I'm stayin' in bed!

I may wear the next level colder gear if its wet or very windy. And I may wear the next level warmer if I'm running during the day in the sun (instead of 5am in the dark).

I may also adjust based on how long I'm running and at what effort level.

Its amazing the amount of heat generated while running.

Getting in our club's outdoor pool during the winter is a story for another post.

No comments: